My hearing aid mold has gotten pretty dirty and I’m thinking about cleaning it, but I want to make sure I do it right so that I don’t mess up the device or ruin the mold. Is there some special cleaning kit that I need to buy, or can it be done with a regular wet cloth? I would like good information and directions on how to clean hearing aid molds. Can you tell me where to find it?
As you mentioned that your “mould” has become dirty then I am assuming that you have a behind the ear hearing aid. The mould can usually be removed from the hearing aid by pulling. To explain, this would leave the mould and tube attached and the hearing aid removed. If the mould and tube is old (over a year say) then the tube may have become brittle where it attaches to the hearing aid. If this is the case then don’t try to do this yourself, you can get the mould re-tubed or replaced from the place you got it. Assuming the tube is not brittle and is easily removed then the tube and mould (attached together) can be washed in warm soapy water. Rinse and leave to dry in a warm dry place. The tube must be completely dry or moisture may get into the hearing aid. If you are in any doubt whatsoever then contact the place you got the hearing aid from.
Date: Tuesday 5th March, 2013
Published in: Hearing Aid Questions